Day 1 of 30 Min Project 12/15/14
Endeavoring to document an experiment I’m going to try. Live-blogging (kind of) my daily habit of working on a side project for 30 minutes a night.
This particular side project is a deep dive into Docker. An attempt to go from basic Node application to a full-fledged, orchestrated, app that I can configure through Docker and some scripts.
- Be able to quickly and easily deploy a Node.js-based application through Docker
- This should ultimately include these pieces:
- Mongo container
- Redis container
- Node api container
- Node/Angular web container
- I want to be able to easily deploy this fully orchestrated suite of containers for unit and integration testing
There will undoubtedly be some additional pieces I have to build along the way. I’m starting with a basic api/web application that I can easily repurpose for later purposes.
- Skeleton Node.js api app
- Skeleton Node.js/Angular web app
- Take an existing app that I have and repurpose it for my skeleton apps
- I’ve decided that a simple Todo app is a decent starting point for this overall goal - not too complex, but it has enough moving pieces to be interesting (at least for now)
- Starting with api first
- Need to convert my custom settings file to a convict-driven one instead